Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Guilt and FFT

Once again that time of the week has come. I feel like I had a pretty good week as far as calorie counting and exercise. I stuck with my calories every day except for Friday when I had a cheat meal for the week. I also got back into running for real and training for my first half marathon in just 4 weeks! I'm trying to up my mileage now without hurting my body in the process. So far so good. I really do love running.



Loss: 2.2 lbs
Total loss: 63 lbs

In case you're looking closely at the total loss numbers you might notice some discrepancies. My starting weight was 235.4. So more than really keeping that close of track of things I just remember what the starting weight was and subtract from there. I promise I'm not lying.

So I mentioned that I had a cheat meal on Friday. I had a wicked craving for Chinese food and decided it would be okay to have one high calorie meal for the week. I was trying really hard to be good with all the rest of my food choices and I had exercised every day. So The Husband and I took the girls and indulged. It was good. But as soon as I had finished eating (only half the food I was given for my entree) I immediately felt guilty. I hadn't even stuffed myself and I was feeling like I shouldn't have eaten even the small amount that I did. Do you ever feel that way? Is it just me?

I want to be able to reach my goal weight and then once I get there I want to be able to relax a little. Relax meaning not be AS strict but not go back to the way I used to eat/not exercise. I do not want to spend the rest of my life feeling guilty if I decide to eat something fried or sugary. At what point do I decide that my sanity/emotional health is more important than a number on a scale? I'm scared that I'm going to reach that goal weight and not be satisfied with the work I've done and still not be happy with myself. It is unrealistic to say that I will never eat a lot pizza ever again. I would never ever promise myself I would never eat cookie dough again. So where do I find the balance for myself?

I apologize if this post just turned into a very negative one but I've been dealing with these emotions a lot lately. Am I doing this right? Any advice is more than appreciated. Have a good week :)

3 comments:

  1. It's natural to feel guilt but you shouldn't. I think allowing yourself to "cheat" or have a treat in moderation makes it less likely that you'll just go on a big junk food bender (I speak from lots of experience!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, it's from Men's Health not Women's Health, but the principle is the same:

    http://blogs.menshealth.com/bellyoff-nutritionist/are-cheat-days-ok/2011/08/17/

    In essence, YES! IT IS OKAY! Now, the author of the blog changes up the wording; instead of calling it "Cheating" call it "Splurging". Stay positive.

    Also, look at it from a Gospel perspective: The Atonement isn't about changing all at once. It isn't about being perfect FOREVER after you've repented for the first time. It's about change. Small changes over time to help you become a better person overall, speaking both physically and spiritually.

    Now, I'm all for Chinese food and gratefully, it isn't a sin. So, look back at where you were when you started this journey and look at where you are now. Surely there is positive change there. If you feel confident that you're making the right choices and moving in the right direction, then feel good about what you've accomplished so far and allow yourself a reward for all your hard work.

    Sorry if this comes off as a little preachy, but know that Tristin and I are rooting for you every step of the way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So you don't know me, I swear I'm not a crazy stalker girl, but I am old college friends with Chris, and he posts your blog on FB and I have been following it. You could say that I am currently at my 'ideal weight'... yet I still constantly struggle to find a balance. I have been overweight (about 6-7 years ago) and I have been underweight (about 3-4years ago). Both are hard. I am still trying to find the balance. I know me and I know it is unrealistic that I say I'll never have sweets again. That is absurd to me. Even though I FEEL better at the weight I am at right now, there is constantly a nagging that tells me I looked better underweight and makes me feel guilty when I eat something I truly enjoy (cookies are my downfall) . The little voice is hard to overcome. I have gone through periods where I feel like I have conquered the voice, then I slack off in my efforts and it comes back. I would say when I typically feel like I have conquered the voice there are a few key things that I am doing. #1- telling myself and BELIEVING that my body is beautiful. #2- staying active. Maybe not disciplined exercise every day, but disciplined exercise mixed with things I love that keep me active like walking. #3- eating pretty healthily- I'd say only having sweets once a day. And not feeling guilty about it. I shouldn't feel guilty for eating 2 or 3 small cookies. But when that voice takes over, I do. I haven't felt like I have conquered the voice in a year. If you figure it out, bog about it! It can be rough. How to find the balance between being healthy, and not obsessing over it. ahhh

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to get feedback from you on posts and answer any questions. Basically, talk to me, I'm cool.